Waste exemptions are waste operations that are exempt from needing an environmental permit from the Environment Agency. Within each exemption there are specific limits and conditions to be adhered to and to ensure the operation does not harm the environment or human health.

To operate under a waste exemption, you must register the exemption with the Environment Agency. Each registration lasts for 3 years and the registration will expire unless the exemption is re-registered. The Environment Agency should send out reminders to those with an existing registered exemption that is due to expire.

The registering of a waste exemption does not remove the need to apply for other permissions or permits, for example planning permission may be required for the waste operation being undertaken. If you are unsure of whether you require a waste exemption or can comply with the limits within each exemption you can contact us or visit the website https://www.gov.uk for a full list of available exemptions and the requirements of complying with them.

There are a number of common exemptions that most farmers will need, and these include:
U8 – Using waste for a specified purpose; this would include using old tyres over a silage clamp.
D7 – Burning waste in the open; this would include sawdust and hedge brash.

U1 – The use of waste in construction; this includes using road planings and rubble to build a track, path or bridleway.
U10 – Spreading waste to benefit agricultural land; this includes spreading of sludge or composts.

The cost of registering a waste exemption is free and is an online form to complete. Assetsphere have registered a number of waste exemptions on behalf of clients.

For advice about waste exemptions and how to register call Richard Edge or Alex Orttewell on 01935 852170 or email info@assetsphere.co.uk